Jumat, 28 September 2018

The Javanese naming tradition

Assalamu'alaikum ^_^
Hallo everyone! How are you? I hope your day is a happy day 😊

Last week, I told you guys about my fantasy. My dream to give name for my children in the future 😂. Today I would like to discuss about fact the tradition of name.


Do you know guys about naming tradition around you? Every region, tribe, city or country in the world usually have tradition to give name for children. In Java, many tradition that use to give name for children. They give name according to birth time, birth order, Java's puppet, expectation and so on.


The Javanese have tradition to give name for their children with simple word but it have meaning. It's because they are easy to remember and spoken. Even some peoples just have a word to their name. They usually insert some prefix on their name such as Su, Wa, Nga, Pra. For example, Surip, Susilo, Suharto, Sukiman, Wartini, Warisman, Ngatini, Pratiwi. They also insert suffix in the last. It's like Budiono, Darsono, Watiana, or they change 'a' become 'o' in the last.

kalender.jendelajogja.com

The people of Java usually use birth time or birthday (re: Dino, month, and weton in Java) for their name. For example, he who was born on Thursday (Kemis) the name is Miskam or Mislan, if she was born on Monday the name is Saniah. My aunt who was born on Besar month her name is Sartinah. My neighbor who was born on Sura month his name is Suratin. He who was born on weton 'Legi' the name is Manis. And then my grandfather who was born on weton "Pon" his name is Poniman.

blogmasdayat.blogspot.com

They also use birth order for name, for example, Eka/Eko, Dwi, Tri, Catur, Sapta, Dasa.

wayangku.id

There are people who take name from the names of Java's Puppet, such as Bimo, Harjuno/ Arjuno, Krisna, Nakula, Sadewa, Rama, for male and Shinta or Sri for female.

The Javanese also give name with expectation. They usually give name with du'a word. It's like Sabar, Trimo, Slamet, Prakoso, Rahayu, Mulyani, Mulyono, Santoso.

For additional information, in Java if some of male who has married, they change child name with new name after merried. In my regional it's called "Jeneng".

I think this is about tradition of name in Java that I know. If you guys want to add naming tradition in your regional in Java that there is no in this post, please write on comment column 😊.

Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you guys enjoy and like to read this post.
See you on the next post! 🤗
Wassalamu'alaikum ^_^